MOVEMENTS THAT CAN SHIFT THE WORLD : Let's March
Part 1: Let's March
Click Here For Part 2: A Call To Action: Linking Climate Change and Social Justice To Save Democracy and the World
By Alice Holstein, Ed.D. June 2019
Let’s March, again! Let’s march TOGETHER with many other movements linking climate change and social-racial-gender justice issues! When? A day designated in Spring, 2020, timed to support U.S. election efforts. Electing those who will prioritize both issues is critical for the U.S. and the world.
A MOVEMENT OF MOVEMENTS already exists, awaiting the LINKING of causes to create a global, mass outpouring of those working to save the world. Among them:
- The millions-strong, historic Women’s March of 2017 that so inspired the world
- Bill McKibben’s hundreds of thousands strong 350.org political actions group
- Rising voices for the GREEN NEW DEAL
- Accelerating Sunrise Movement
- Swedish schoolgirl Greta Thunberg’s climate crusades; 2020 Climate Strike
- The already strongly linked environmental movement
- The March 15, 2019, student walkouts from over 100 countries to protest global warming,
- The Parkland Florida student national walkout and 800,000 march in Washington, D.C. (March For Our Lives) plus Sandy Hook Promise and Moms Demand Action
- The Moral Mondays and “Poor Peoples” Campaign led by Rev. Dr. William Barber
- An unknown number of powerful Black Lives Matter activists
- The Standing Rock Sioux Reservation pipeline protest
- The 2010-2012 Occupy movement, manifested world-wide
- Resistance organizations protesting the Trump presidency and global autocracy
- The #MeToo movement
- Political campaigns that energized millions of young people
- Some 1-2 million NGO’s identified by Paul Hawken’s 2007 book, Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Movement In the World Came Into Being and Why No One Saw It Coming.
Hawken said---“these entities do not conflict with one another, an unprecedented historical happening.” I say---Up until now, however, they have not comprehensively linked their common cause---the need for a new operating system for planet earth, the need for global MOVEMENTS THAT CAN SHIFT THE WORLD to a new level of consciousness, led by a host of grassroots leaders who do not have to give up their identity to share leadership. The Berlin Wall fell quickly. So can a worldview that allows abuses of power, disregard for the earth, the elite over the marginalized, and an out-of-control capitalism.
NON-VIOLENCE and People Power can triumph! Movements That Can Shift the World can inspire “A Decade Of Healing” on racial-social-gender and environmental issues. Global transformation is possible!
Let’s mobilize in the Spring of 2020, to shift the locus of power in the service of love and the sacredness of life. Let’s help save the world. Let’s jumpstart a “Decade of Healing.” A new world awaits us.
Alice A. Holstein, Ed.D. August, 2019